- Carlson High School News and Notes
I hope this message finds you doing well! Please consider saving this message as it contains information regarding the end of semester one. I know this semester has been a challenge for many and has also demonstrated the incredible amount of grit and resilience that our students and staff have as we faced changes to the way we had to learn.
We have been working at the building and district level to determine the best balance of flexibility and demonstration of cumulative learning when it comes to our first semester final exams. Our policy for final exams has already been communicated to many of our students through their classes, something we will continue to do in the coming days. After reading this, if there are questions about a specific final exam, please contact your child's teacher first. The entire policy is attached with examples, but the highlights are as follows:
- All teachers will offer a final exam and all students must take the final exam in each of their courses.
- Final exams will be worth 10% of the first semester overall grade.
- If a final exam grade will negatively impact the first semester grade, the exam will be waived and the student grade will be the semester 1 grade only.
- Students who earn a 60% or higher on the final exam and have an E as a semester grade will have an E on their transcript for GPA purposes, but earn credit for the course.
- Students are expected to put their best effort forth on final exams. We will be using information from these student exams to determine where to start on semester 2, necessary individual and small group supports, and placement in classes where applicable (advanced/general).
- Final exams will be held 1/28 and 1/29. Both days are half days and exams will be one hour each. Thursday, 1/28, will be hours 1, 3, and 5 and Friday, 1/29, will be hours 2, 4, and 6.
- Our NHS students will be providing tutoring to any student who would like some additional support as they work to finish this semester strong. Please contact Ms. Walters at email@example.com or Mr. Rice at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to sign up.
- Next week, there will be no school on Monday, 1/18, in observance of Martin Luther King Day.
- Our bond work is nearly complete and it is absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much to our community for providing the resources that make our school shine!
- As we complete this work, we will be hooking up our marquee and ensuring all of the connections are established. This will occur next Wednesday, 1/20, and until the hook up is completed, some of the old messages from last spring (like "school is closed") will display. Please disregard - I can assure you that we won't alert you of a school closure via the marquee only.
- The much-anticipated return of our extracurricular activities, including winter sports, is quickly approaching. If your child is interested in one of these activities, please make sure they are paying attention to announcements from coaches and our athletic department so that they don't miss important dates. Our goal is to keep students in school and engaged in these extracurriculars for as long as is safely possible. One way to help this is to continue to follow the familiar safety guidelines as much as you can.
- With our return to in-person learning, please make sure to wait in the Shumate lot if you arrive before our doors open at 7:25 and wish to hold your child in the car. Students can enter through the doors next to the bus loop. I want to thank you in advance for your support with this as it makes our drop off line flow much more smoothly.
Thank you for taking the time to read this long update - there is always a lot going on at the end of a semester. Our students have done a fantastic job with the return to in-person this week and I cannot tell you how glad we all are to be back in the building with our students! It has been great!
Carlson High School