BOO GRAMS are back!
Sent a friend, a teacher or even yourself a Boo Gram during 6th hour on Halloween day. A Boo Gram includes a bag of candy, Halloween message or joke, and a personalized message from you. Buy Boo Grams during lunch for only $1 starting Wednesday, October 17th.
Mr. Liptow Inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame
Shumate Middle School teacher and varsity baseball coach, Chad Liptow, was recently selected to be inducted into the Carlson High School Baseball Hall of Fame. While in high school, Chad played four years of varsity baseball under Dave Sontag at Jefferson High School as an outfielder and catcher. Unfortunately, a sliding injury left a metal plate and eleven screws in his ankle and ended any chance of finishing his senior year. After graduating, Chad coached at Jefferson for ten years before being hired as a fourth grade teacher at Chapman. In 2003, he moved up to teach eighth grade history at Shumate and was hired to coach varsity baseball in the spring. Coach Liptow is a graduate of the University of Toledo and also worked on the assembly line at Ford Motor Company for five years. He has coached six years of JV football, as well as two years at the freshman level, and three years at the eighth grade level with a record of 61-19-3.
Chad was hired to take over the varsity baseball program in 2004 and has compiled a career record of 263-244-9. Coach Liptow now ranks #1 in career wins in Carlson Baseball history!
During Chad’s tenure as varsity baseball coach his accomplishments include:
- Construction of dugouts and press box
- Fencing enhancements
- 60 stadium seats
- Hitting shell
- Storage building
- 10 flip seats
- 38 visitor seats
- Turf in hitting net/bullpens
- Field drag
- Sound system
- Upgrade equipment/uniforms/field/pitch count
- Over $100,000 fundraising
- Construction of website documenting program history
- 15 years running youth clinic
- 11 years spring trip to Cincinnati
- 2006, 2009, 2011 championships
- Form Hall of Fame/alumni game
- Support/help formation of Mini Marauder League in 2014
- 16 players sign to play college baseball
- 13 years summer league / organize league 10 years /summer wooden bat champs 2012 and 2014
- Played or practiced at 9 different college fields
- Scoreboards (school purchase)
- Coached two All-State players, four players who competed in High School All-Star game and former player selected in the 2016 Major League Baseball Draft - currently rostered with the Detroit Tigers.
Congratulations to Coach Chad Liptow for being the 2018/19 Baseball Hall of Fame selection.
PSAT October 10, 2018
On October 10th, 8th grade students will be taking the PSAT at Shumate Middle School. It's a chance for them to start exploring their path to college and beyond.
We encourage students ages 13 and older to set up a College Board account. It makes it easy for them to access their scores and provides useful tools for every step of their journey to college. Just remind them to link their parents' email to their account when they sign up, so they'll also get reminders and college planning guidance from the College Board.
For more PSAT resources, click here.
Picture Retakes October 15th!
Picture retake day will be October 15th. Pictures may be order by going to mylifetouch.com, use the picture code - LM748129Y1.
Order Your Year Book Early!
Click here to access the school store and year book page.
Students, tell us your thoughts on PBIS rewards!
We would like to hear from you! Please provide us with any suggestions of different rewards you would like to win when we draw weekly positive action tickets.
Click here to complete the survey. Thanks!
Like Shumate Middle School on acebook