Board of Education
The Gibraltar School District is seeking applicants for the current vacant position on the board of education. Please see the attached notice of vacancy. Interested persons should apply at the link below:
School Board Elections
Board members will serve 4-year terms in accordance with the State election cycle – these terms commence on January 1st following the November General Election. The rotation includes 4 seats in one election followed by 3 seats in the next.
No one person on the Board or group of persons acts in the name of the Board. When an item comes before the Board in the form of a motion, it is necessary that a majority vote be in favor of the motion in order for the Board to take action. All Board members must vote on each motion.
The areas of Board action include:
- Drafting policies for the operation of the schools.
- Employing a superintendent of schools.
- Authorizing the appointment of recommended teachers and administrators.
- Determining education standards and goals.
- Approving the curriculum as studied, developed and recommended by staff.
- Securing funds for school operational needs, building programs, and authorizing expenditures.
- Expressing and representing the views of the community in matters affecting education.
- Interpreting the educational programs and needs of the community.
Consultants from the staff and members of the community often aid the Board in performing these duties.
Types of Meetings
The Organizational meeting takes place annually by the second Friday of January. This meeting is for organizational purposes such as the election of officers, setting meeting dates, naming of depositories for funds, etc.
Regular Meetings are held once each month to conduct normal Board business. In general, the Board meets on the second Thursday of the month. All meetings are held in public.
Special Meetings are public and can be called for any purpose between regular meetings. Meetings must be posted for 18 hours.
Executive Sessions are provided for by law when the Board is discussing personnel and student discipline, negotiations, purchase of property, etc. These meetings are attended by the Board, Superintendent, and anyone involved with the issue under discussion. No action may be taken in an executive session.
Information/Work/Study Sessions are discussion sessions without the usual meeting formalities. Typically, no action is taken in these meetings, and all meetings are public.
The Board of Education is the legislative body of the school district. Their meetings are held in public, but not as a public forum for open debate. However, this Board believes strongly in rights of citizens to be heard. You may be heard in the following ways:
- The President of the Board will inquire at the appropriate time (under Public Comments) if anyone in the audience wishes to bring something to the Board's attention.
- Citizens may request time to speak by telephone or in writing to an agenda item.
- Citizens may write a letter to the Board, addressing it to the President or Superintendent. Such letters are copied and given to the Board members.
- Questions will be heard by either building or central office administrators any day of the work week.