Carlson Annual Educational Report Cover Letter
Oscar A. Carlson High School
30550 WEST JEFFERSON AVENUE
GIBRALTAR, MICHIGAN 48173-9654
PHONE: (734) 379.7100
FAX: (734) 379.5444
August 15, 2012
Dear Parents and Community Members:
We are pleased to present you with the Annual Education Report (AER) which provides key information on the 2011-2012 educational progress for Oscar A. Carlson High School. The AER addresses the complex reporting information required by federal and state laws. The school’s report contains information about student assessment, Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) and teacher quality. If you have any questions about the AER, please contact Principal Bill Stevenson for assistance.
The AER is available for you to review electronically by visiting the following web site www.gibdist.net or you may review a copy from the Principal’s office at your child’s school.
Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) – Status
AYP Status is based on student participation and proficiency in mathematics and reading. Attendance targets must be met for elementary and middle schools and graduation rate targets must be met for high schools and districts.
Carlson High School made AYP!
We are pleased to announce: for 2011-2012, Oscar A. Carlson High School made Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) in the tested subjects (mathematics, reading, science). While we are pleased to have reached this important goal, we are continuously working to improve. We appreciate the continued support of parents, staff and our community in this effort.
Top to Bottom Ranking – Detail Data and Status
Information used to rank schools is based on the development of the Top to Bottom list of schools and their performance. Each school’s Top to Bottom ranking will be based on student achievement, student growth over time, school improvement over time and achievement gaps across all five tested subjects (mathematics, reading, science, social studies and writing).
State law requires that we also report additional information:
· Students in the Gibraltar School District are assigned to the high school after successful completion of eighth grade. Students come from the five communities in our school service area, as well as Schools of Choice students under provisions governed by state law.
· CHS underwent a Quality Assurance Review through the NCA/AdvancED process in the spring of 2010, and we are proud to announce that we were fully accredited in all standards areas of assessment. In May, 2012, we submitted our Accreditation Progress Report as a part of our North Central accreditation compliance plan, and the report was approved by the governing body. Our school improvement plan is reviewed, monitored, and updated yearly by the faculty and administration.
· The Gibraltar School District is the fiduciary agent for the Downriver Consortium of Schools and offers an alternative school program at Downriver High School.
· Copies of our core curriculum can be found at www.mde.gov. It is implemented by the district administration, curriculum director, and faculty. Building level school improvement teams and the district school improvement are responsible for implementation. There is not a deviation from the state model.
· CHS and District student achievement data can be found at our school’s website: www.gibdist.net/Carlson
· Parent-teacher conferences are held each trimester. Approximately eighty percent of our student parents attend parent-teacher conferences.
We are proud of the accomplishments of all our students, and seek to work together with the parents and community for even greater success.
Very truly yours,
William M. Stevenson
Oscar A. Carlson High School