Middle School Sports
Shumate Middle School
30448 W. Jefferson
Gibraltar, MI 48173
Phone (734) 379-7600
Fax (734) 379-2370
Assistant Principal/Athletic Director: Tracy Richardson Home of the Seahawks
I hope this letter finds you ready to enjoy the summer while gearing up for yet another school year. As your assistant principal and athletic director, I am committed to making this upcoming school year a valuable and rewarding experience for each student at Shumate Middle School. This letter will make you aware of informational items and changes prior to the fall 2017 sport season.
Again this year, the activity fee will remain at $100.00. It will be charged to each 6th, 7th and 8th grade student participating in any Shumate athletic activity. This is a ONE TIME charge for the entire school year, regardless of the number of sports or activities in which students are involved. Additional information will be provided at parent meetings.
1. Preferred method of payment is the electronic payment system that will be accessible on the district and school web pages as of July 10, 2017. The direct website to make a payment is www.payforit.net.
To set up an account you will need a valid email address, a credit card or check routing information and your child’s student identification number which may be found in your Parent Portal under Demographics. (Please note this number is different from your Parent Portal login.) Your card number will be stored securely so that you may make additional payments in the future without re-registering.
2. Submit check, money order or bank check to the Shumate main office or the High School Athletic Department. Include the student ID# on the check. Make checks payable to: Gibraltar School District.
Cash payments will not be accepted.
Each student interested in participating in a school sponsored sport MUST have a current physical examination on file with the school. Parents should have the doctor use the form provided on the athletic website or from the athletic office. Please be sure that both sides of the form are completely filled out. Physicals performed on/or after April 15, 2017 are considered up-to-date and will be good for the entire 2017/18 school year. Students will not be allowed to tryout, practice, or play without an up-to-date physical.
Again for the 2017/18 school year: 6th grade students WILL BE eligible for certain sports. These include cross country, swimming, wrestling and track. All of the above requirements must be met BEFORE trying out for these sports.OVER
- Volleyball - Tryouts are scheduled for Monday, August 28th, through Wednesday, August 30th. Seventh grade times will be 3:00-4:30PM. Eighth grade times will be 4:30-6:00PM. All tryouts will be held in the Shumate gym. A parent meeting will be held once the teams have been chosen.
- Cheer - Tryouts for sideline cheerleading have already been held. There will be a parent meeting in September for all parents and members of this squad. New for this year, the cheer program will be hosting a one day cheer academy on Tuesday, June 13th. More info is available by contacting Shumate Middle School or Carlson Athletic Dept.
- Middle School Football - All students interested in trying out for the 7th or 8th grade football teams are asked to attend an informational meeting on Wednesday, August 16, 2017. The meeting will take place in the Shumate cafeteria and will begin at 6:00PM. At least one parent or guardian of each student trying out is required to attend. Completed physicals should be brought to this meeting. The first day of practice will take place on Monday, August 21st.
- Cross Country - Open to all 6th, 7th and 8th graders at Shumate. Have your child get involved and make new friends while being part of a team!
- 6th grade - 1 mile course
- 7th and 8th - 2 mile course
- First Week Practice for Cross Country
- Monday, August 28 3:15-4:45PM
- Tuesday, August 29 3:15-4:45PM
- Wednesday, August 30 3:15-4:45PM
- Thursday, August 31 NO PRACTICE – Open House SMS
***Run on your own over the Labor Day weekend. Try to get at least 5 miles in over the 4 days***
Meet in Ms. Hulderman’s room #201 at Shumate. Dress to run. See Shumate Athletic Fall Sports website for more information. Please contact Coach Hulderman if you have any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All athletic forms and schedules can be found @ www.gibdist.net
If you have any further questions, please contact me at 734-379-7606 or at email@example.com.
Assistant Principal/Athletic Director