The State of Michigan under Section 21f of the State School Aid Act has launched the choice for parents to request that their student(s), in grades 6-12, be enrolled in no more than two (2) online courses in place of a currently scheduled course. Gibraltar School District (GSD) supports online learning, and as a District, we pride ourselves on forward movement on innovative uses of technology to support learning. Our solid history of meaningful and deep learning that takes place across the district with highly qualified Gibraltar teachers is noteworthy and impressive in terms of our accomplishments and student growth. However, we encourage parents to consider carefully if a 100% online course is ideal for their child given the fact that they will be forfeiting face-to-face teacher classroom instruction and support.
The Section 21f option will be available starting third trimester of the current 2015-16 school year. Parents should carefully consider the unique qualities of their child when investigating if an online class is right for them. These factors include:
- Can your student create and maintain a study schedule without face-to-face interaction of a teacher?
- Can your student self-advocate to seek help within a virtual setting?
- Does your student possess the independent study habits needed to complete an entire course online without direct supervision?
- Does your student have the reading, writing, math, and computer literacy skills to succeed in a class that is completely online?
- Additional information is contained with the Parent Guide to Online Learning http://media.mivu.org/institute/pdf/parent_guide_2...
It is important to note that this option is limited to choices available from the online classes that are listed within the state online course catalog ( https://micourses.org ). While all of these classes have been reviewed from each sponsoring local district, these courses may not necessarily meet the rigor of courses for GSD from a credit or graduation requirement perspective and are, therefore, subject to administrative approval. Additionally, availability of courses is not guaranteed. Courses may have a class size limit, and should that limit be exceeded, students will be placed into the course on a lottery basis.
Should you request that your child participate in the online class experience please note the following:
- The highly qualified teacher providing content for the course will only be available remotely via email or possibly phone and will not be an GSD employee.
- Students will work independently outside of the traditional classroom setting and will not be present with their current teacher or classmates during that subject.
- Students will be monitored by an GSD para-professional or support staff member.
- Changes to the existing students schedule could be made.
- If approved, both parent and student must agree to the 21f Online Learning Course Contract.
Parents should use the Online Course Request Form. Enrollment in this program for the 2016-17 school year will follow the established GSD course selection timeline at the secondary level.
Deadlines for the 2016-2017 school year:
1st Semester by May 15, 2016
2nd Semester by October 1, 2016
Requests for the online option at the elementary level must be submitted to the principal for consideration by May 15, 2016.
Should you have any additional questions about online learning opportunities or would like to further discuss the online option, please contact your child’s counselor.